Monday, January 19, 2009

I made it to Perth

So I made it to Perth, it's pretty warm here - being their summer - but it's not too bad. Jet lag comes in handy sometimes, I'm up very early and get to enjoy the cool of the early morning while I putter around getting stuff done and do errands. Once afternoon get's here it's way too hot for me. I think I'll get used to it but it may take a couple weeks :-)

My flights over here from Canada were..... hectic. I arrived at the opposite end LAX (LA Airport) from where I had to catch my flight to Sydney, and LAX is a very larde airport. As well, I had to pick up all of my luggage to change airlines due to problem with the way it was booked by the travel company, getting it from one end of the terminal to the other was an adventure and I got a few funny looks - I had alot of luggage. I was VERY relieved to see the Qantas signs as I was nearly in the parking lot by the time I found it, haha.

I missed my flight from Sydney to Perth by 15min (between a late flight arrival, very long line ups at customs and getting a little lost) and got moved back to one a few hours later. Which was actually lucky, I was sitting with a policeman from Perth who managed to allay my fears about moving to Perth. Telling me funny story's and giving advice about where to go and where not too. Made me feel quite a bit better to talk to someone about how things run here, and get good recommendations on local beer's. And I guess I have to live north of the river, he was quite clear about that, dangerous south of the river I suppose, haha. He's never been to Edmonton I guess.

I'm staying at a hotel downtown in Perth, just off the river. I'm booked in at the Grand Medina for the next 3 months. My suite is a one bedroom apartment, larger than my place in Vancouver by a good bit, heh. Pretty nice place but hippy/trendy feeling you get in Vancouver, no matter the time of day, people out in casual clothes walking the sea-wall or out and about, Perth is more conservative, lots of business wear down here. Or maybe that's just the immediate few blocks.

Today I going on my "Orientation" arranged by the relocation people. It starts at 9:30am, and as I've been up since 4am it will interfere with lunch, or what my stomache thinks is lunch, haha, this is the downside to jetlag.

No comments:

Post a Comment